The .30 Winchester Smokeless first appeared in Winchester’s catalog No. 55, dated August 1895. When chambered in the Winchester Model 1894 carbine and rifle, it was also known as .30 Winchester Center Fire or .30 WCF. When the cartridge was chambered in the Marlin Model 1893 rifle, rival gunmaker Marlin used the designation .30-30 or .30-30 Smokeless. The added -30 stands for the standard load of 30 grains (1.9 g) of early smokeless powder and is based on late-19th century American naming conventions for black powder-filled cartridges. Both Marlin and Union Metallic Cartridge Co. also dropped the Winchester appellation, as they did not want to put the name of rival Winchester on their products.
The modern designation of .30-30 Winchester was arrived at by using Marlin’s variation of the name with the Winchester name appended as originator of the cartridge, but .30 WCF is still seen occasionally.
- “.30-30 load data Archived 2007-11-16 at WebCite” from Hodgdon.
- “Load Guide” data from Accurate Powder.
- Ron Spomer. “Whitetail Deer Cartridge Shoot-Out: .30-30 Win. vs. .243 Win. vs. .30-06 Springfield“. Outdoor Life, October 28, 2019. Accessed March 4, 2021.
- Rick Jamison, “The Winchester Model 94 .30-30,” Shooting Times August 1989. G. Sitton, “Lever Guns and Iron Sights,” Hunting April 1997. Layne Simpson, “The Sights and Sounds of the .30-30,” Shooting Times September 1992. Grits Gresham, “The .30/30” Sports Afield August 1980.
- Chuck Hawks. “The Deer Rifle“. ChuckHawks.com. Accessed January 26, 2022.
Product Info for Winchester SUPER-X RIFLE .30-30 Winchester 150 grain Jacketed Hollow Point Brass Cased Centerfire Rifle Ammunition
Winchester Super-X Centerfire Rifle Ammunition is just as accurate as any other Winchester ammo offering incredible reliability. It also is able to supply rapid and controlled expansion and the ability to travel at high velocities.
Specifications for Winchester SUPER-X RIFLE .30-30 Winchester 150 grain Jacketed Hollow Point Brass Cased Centerfire Rifle Ammunition:
Caliber: .30-30 Winchester
Number of Rounds: 500
Bullet Type: Jacketed Hollow Point (JHP)
Bullet Weight: 150 grain
Cartridge Case Material: Brass
Muzzle Velocity: 2390 ft/s
Package Type: Box
Primer Location: Centerfire
Muzzle Energy: 1902 ft-lbs
Features of Winchester SUPER-X RIFLE .30-30 Winchester 150 grain Jacketed Hollow Point Brass Cased Centerfire Rifle Ammunition:
Hollow PointProvides quick consistent expansion for maximum knock-down performance
Contoured JacketControlled expansion
Alloyed Lead CoreIncreases retained weight for deeper penetration